Answers to frequently asked questions about our home
Do you have to rent for a full week? – No What does a rental cost? We rent our home out several ways:In season Memorial Day through Labor Day: We accept only 1 or more week rentals. Rentals begin 4:00 PM on Friday & end the following Friday at 9:00 AM. Memorial Day, 4th of July & Labor Day weeks are $4,350 each week.
Regular in-season weeks - $ 4,050
Cleaning is done before each rental between 9:00 AM & 4:00 pm on Friday. Our cleaning crew inspects, vacuums & gets the house ready for each group. We expect to find our home in good condition upon your departure. We leave Tupperware & all sorts of serving bowls, containers, pitchers, plates, silverware, cooking utensils, blenders, pots, & pans for your use. Please make sure they are clean when you leave. Please do not leave open food containers in our home. Weekend cleaning is awful; this is why our rentals always start Friday at 4:00 PM.
Out of season we have three rental structures.
- Long weekends (4 nights) – Friday night 4:00 PM – departing Tuesday 9:00 AM - $2,750
- Regular weekends (3 nights) – Friday night 4:00 PM – departing Monday 9:00 AM - $2,500
- Midweek (4 nights) – Monday evening 4:00 PM – departing Friday Morning 9:00 AM - $2,000
- Full weeks – Start on Friday night 4:00 PM – depart the next Friday 9:00 AM.
- May (until Memorial Day) and September (right after Labor day) - $3,500 per week
- October – through April - $2,950 per week.
- Holiday weeks and/or weekends add $300 to an off-season rental.
- Exceptions: The following rental weeks start and end on different cycles – based on the days of the week they fall.
- Christmas week and New Years week – both of which are $4,500 per week.
- Thanksgiving week starts Tuesday evening 4:00 PM – departing Tuesday 9:00 AM. - $4,500 per week
Is the house near water?Yes – we’re on Santuit Pond (188 acre fresh water lake) we’re about 5 miles to South Cape Beach (ocean) – We do not provide a beach pass, you must go to Mashpee Town Hall to get a beach pass, we believe it is $50 or so per car, per week (but check with them).
Can you swim or fish?Yes - both from our 14 x 16 floating dock. We have 22 ski / life jackets – infant to XL sizes.
What about watercraft?You can bring a boat or canoe of your own and moor it to our dock utilizing our cleats. We assume no risk or responsibility in the water from boating or swimming.
How about a security deposit?$1,500 – refundable – provided you don’t damage our home or leave it a mess, in which case we will deduct accordingly.
How about smoking?Inside – absolutely not! – Outside – provided you leave no butts, stubs, and ash, gone!
How about pets?Normally no, however we will discuss this option under certain circumstances.
Special Features?2 central air conditioning, heating & humidity control systems 1 on the 1st floor & 1 on the 2nd. 120-gallon hot water tank, no cold showers here! 1st floor has cathedral ceilings, ceiling fans -1 in each of the 2 master bedrooms & 3 in the Great Room. Andersen insect screens on all doors & windows enjoy the fresh air, without the bugs, if you wish! 6 VCR’s & 6 color TV’s, a DVD player, full stereo system & over 1,500 VHS movies.
What’s the difference between ocean and lake rentals?Sound, price, view, temperature, risk, wildlife, watercraft, possibilities, and a beach pass. Personally we believe the lake beats the ocean every time - consider the advantages of each and decide for yourself. Not just on cost but on many issues.
- Sound: Peaceful and quiet is the byword on the lake Vs. Constant pounding of the surf is normal at the ocean (however many people seem to love this!)
- Price: Typically upwards of 100% or more for a comparably equipped ocean view house of similar size.
- View: We have a view of a working cranberry bog, beautiful sun rises, mist in the morning off the lake – fish jumping in the morning – and reflections of the forest striking the pond! Vs. on the ocean with a great view of nothing but water – But hey some folks just love the blue view (yes you do see boats off in the distance occasionally). Oh, by the way… no fall foliage on the ocean.
- Temperature: We are up high and get terrific breezes, The lake water is always warmer than the ocean water for swimming. Vs. Breezes on the ocean are variable depending on the humidity.
- Risk: No undertow or currents in the lake. You can always see and be close to land! Vs. The ocean
- Wildlife: Swan’s, ducks, turtles on the lake – ok to throw food at – do not attempt to pet these animals – they protect their young. Trout, Bass, Sonnies and frogs fun to catch, release please unless you are going to eat them!
- Boating possibilities: At our home you can moor your watercraft to our dock, however we assume no liability or responsibility for you or your watercraft on the lake. Vs. It’s pretty tricky to bring or rent watercraft and moor it to the Ocean unless your at a home in an inlet off of the Ocean, (of course then your not really on the ocean).
- Beach Pass : We provide a portable pass to South Cape Beach (You can have our lake & the ocean too!) If you loose it we charge $100 to replace it – so protect it. We provide beach towels, blankets, chairs, cooler, & umbrellas.
Do you have a sun deck?Several (6 in total)
- On our top floor we have a completely fenced in, open bathing deck 10’ x 10’ – accessible only from the top floor. Here we have outdoor chaises lounges for tanning in private.
- Great room floor - 10’ x 10’ screened in porch with glass dining table & 6 chairs. Plus 16’ x 20’ outdoor deck with dining table & umbrella (seat 8 to 10), plus double gas grill (propane is provided - you will not run out of gas! Plus many gourmet grill tools & racks. Second floor has an area 11’ tall below above decks.
- On the stairs to the lake - 6’ x 16’ landing (another spot for private sun bathing) then final stairs to our floating 14’ x 16’ dock (You walk onto the dock without getting wet!) The water level of the lake at shoreline is less than 1 foot; at the far side of the dock it’s over 6 feet.
- Want more? - We have a 4’+ high fence with a 5” wide plank for resting your elbows & drink (morning coffee or a strong diet coke at night) as you reflect on the days activities with your friends & family. More still? How about a loveseat nestled in the Japanese garden & lush landscaping at the front of our home (a bit less lush off-season).
Sleepinghow many rooms, how big are the rooms & how many people?
We have many sleeping areas & can sleep many people. However our typical cut off is 12 adults, depending on the relationship of your group, the ages of children (we don’t count infants) we will allow as many as 14 or 15. This is negotiable. When you add more people, you put our septic system & the resources of the property at risk, this makes your experience & ours unsatisfactory. It is our goal for your vacation to be wonderful & we will try to exceed your expectations. Sleeping bags & the like are specifically not wanted (unless the children want to use them in beds! (sort of camping out at the Ritz!) We provide all linens, towels, blankets, pillows, soap & shampoo, and 1st aid supplies. All bedrooms are carpeted. All bathrooms are tile or slate.
Master Bedroom 1: We have an oversized master bed, plus a glass-topped table for you to write a book, a letter, your memoirs, love letters, poetry or whatever makes you feel great. This room feels warm with Native America Art, a fabulous wall tapestry and a grouping of rattan furniture, including love seat, 2 easy chairs, a coffee table and more. Two full sets of dressers and a walk in dressing room, closet and a full-length mirror. Color TV, Broadband Cable, VCR and bookcase headboards as well as reading lamps on nightstands on both sides of the bed. The room of course has a clock & a phone on each side of the bed for added convenience. This Master bedroom is approximately 22’ x 26’. We allow no more than 2 adults in this room – no children – except infants sleeping in a portable crib. Located to the right of the Great Room. This room includes a private bathroom with a shower, tub, & whirlpool spa combo. It features 2 sinks, a skylight ceiling, hairdryer & toilet. This room has it’s own linen closet. This room has fabulous views of our lake. This room is for your special couple!
Master Bedroom 2: A king size master bed plus a single futon, plus a built in desk area with a PC. More letter & book writing. One full sets of dressers & a 12-foot wide closet & full-length mirror. Broadband cable, color TV, VCR & bookcase headboards as well as a reading lamp on a nightstand. The room of course has a clock & a phone. This Master bedroom is approximately 12’ x 20’. We allow a maximum of 3 adults or children sleeping. Infants sleeping in a portable crib are fine as well. Located to the left of the Great room. At night, close the hallway door and the second full semi-private bathroom – sink, shower/tub, hairdryer & toilet is incorporated into this suit, along with it’s own linen closet. This room has fabulous views of our lake.
Downstairs Guest Bedroom 3: 2 Queen/full size beds plus 2 full sets of dressers and a 5’ x 6’-foot wide walk in closet and a full-length mirror. Color TV, Broadband Cable, VCR and a reading lamp on a nightstand. The room of course has a clock & a phone. This bedroom is approximately 16’ x 20’. It features a marble coffee table great for playing cards, or board games, backgammon, chess, checkers, Monopoly (all of which we supply – over 30 games in total). We allow no more than 4 children or adults in this room, also infants sleeping in a portable crib. Located to the right of the Minor Great room. This room has fabulous views of our lake.
Downstairs Guest Bedroom 4: 2 Queen/full size beds plus 2 full sets of dressers & a 6’ x 7’- walk in closet & full-length mirror. Color TV, Broadband Cable, VCR & a reading lamp on a nightstand. The room of course has a clock & a phone. This bedroom is approximately 12’ x 20’. It has 22 life jackets (14 of which are race jackets – in the walk in closet. They are there for your use. We allow no more than 4 children or adults in this room, also infants sleeping in a portable crib. Located to the left of the minor Great room. This room has fabulous views of our lake.
3rd floor loft: A spiral staircase takes you to this special space. 1 single futon couch is in this space. Not an official bedroom, if you fell asleep here, you’ll be up each day as the sun rises! We allow no more than one adult or child over the age of 12 to stay here. This room leads to the private 10 x 10 outdoor deck, & its intended use is as a small area for quiet conversation. Has a small table to hold a few drinks and biscuits.
Library/Guest Bedroom 5: 1 Queen/full size futon with cabinets to store personal items – Color TV, Broadband Cable, VCR and a reading lamp on a nightstand. The room of course has a clock & a phone. This room is approximately 11’ x 12’. It has games and books stored hear for you to read & enjoy. We allow no more than 2 children or adults in this room. Located to the right of the minor Great room. This room has no view & is attached to our utility room. This room is designed to send the men in your life downstairs to watch sports, if it’s the best they can come up with on vacation.
Utility Room: This is the electrical, security, humidity and air conditioning control area. Circuit breakers are reset here. You should not need to be in this room., however access is permitted in case of emergency need.
Owners Storage Closet: This is where our cleaning and repair crews keep their supplies and where we keep our personal clothes. This room is locked and is not for guest use.
Laundry Room: Here you will find a super capacity GE Profile washer and Dryer – and an ironing board. But hey… your on vacation only use this if you really love to do housework or just can’t help yourself.
3rd full bathroom: on the lower floor - toilet, sink, hairdryer & doublewide shower, also a detached linen cabinet.
What makes your home special?Celebrate being together - The Great Room & The Minor Great Room.
The Great Room: A 1,200 sq. ft room – overlooks lake, incorporates a loft like atmosphere. Includes: a series of 3 ceiling fans & more light switches than you can image. At night break the space into small areas with amazing light & fan configurations. Light (from skylights & all of the windows) & art envelops this space. This 22’ x 45’ space & much of the house celebrates Native American’s, Mashpee is the home of the Wampanoag Tribe, & this is the tribe, which greeted the pilgrims arriving at Plymouth Rock on the Mayflower. You will find books on Native Americans & the Wampanoag in particular. Our concierge book suggests locations for playing, site seeing, golf, & fishing, day trips to the islands & of course shopping & eating out! Our separate 11 x 18 dinning room is part of this space.
Gourmet kitchen: 17 x 22 - loaded with cooking oils, vinegars, soy sauces & spices & unlimited tea & coffee (filters too!) for your use. It incorporates a 6’ x 9’ cooking isle where everyone can congregate in the kitchen to help prepare festive meals, to socialize, etc. The isle includes bar stools as well as chairs for sitting at a small isle kitchen table. The kitchen has 2 gourmet sinks 1 single bull & 1 double bull, 2 microwave ovens, 2 bake broil & convection ovens, a toaster oven, blenders, coffee maker, 27 cubic foot refrigerator with built in filtered water & icemaker. Pots, pans, cups, dishes, silverware and even a lobster pot, with shell crackers & special dishes with instructions on the art of opening cooked lobster! This room has a slate floor, it is easy to maintain if something drops or spills.
Dining room: – seats 10 to 12 (+ wet bar) & serving board. Very comfortable oak chairs – great on your back! This room has a lowered tray ceiling to give a sense of warmth & comfort. The room is decorated with art & hand pounded plates from around the world, it flows into the living room - both rooms are carpeted.
Living Room - with comfortable, overstuffed chairs, coffee tables & several couches (one of which opens to a queen size sleeper, this room is not normally considered a sleeping room – no privacy). This room has a color TV, Broadband cable, DVD/CD player – big speaker system, VCR, and houses over 1,500 movies! We also have many decks of professional Las Vegas style playing cards, a card chute, and professional black jack and poker card table felts and lots of plastic chips too! You will find all of this in the cabinet above the TV in the Great Room!
Celebrate being together -
- The Minor Great Room: An 800 square foot room – overlooks the lake, it has a game room atmosphere. A hand laid herringbone brick floor with slate inserts sets this space apart!
- 1” thick slate pool table (please no young unsupervised children on the table).
- Regulation ping pong table
- Dry bar & a wet bar – In the morning the wet bar acts as an additional bathroom sink if someone is in the bathroom.
- At night after a long day on the Cape… just when you think it’s time to sleep… the house come alive down stairs with ping pong & pool challenges! Here everyone will see just how good he or she is in 1 on 1 & team sports!
- In the Great Rooms you will get together, share laughs, & build lasting memories. So that’s why they call them the Great Rooms!